Tuesday, May 1, 2007

Date Night Haven


Right around the corner from our house is a little Italian restaurant. We can walk to it if we like. The beauty of it is that the food is excellent, the atmosphere is perfect, it's very close....and it's our little place, our haven away from the pressures of life. There have been countless times that I have been driving on my way home and I'll call Kellie, talk to her for just a second, and immediately I can feel the stress in her voice. Whenever I can, I'll ask, "Date night?" and she'll almost always answer loudly, "Yes!" We agree to meet at "our place". And then for the next 1-2 hours, we are in our own romantic spot, our little Italian restaurant, connecting in a way that's not always possible at home. For a few moments, we're free from work pressures, family pressures, and our intense schedule. It's a quick paradise of calm.


Find a place near your home that is your place--your date haven. It doesn't have to be the fanciest joint in town. In fact, my suggestion is to find a conveniently located restaurant to call your own where the food is good, the atmosphere is romantic enough, but where it's also okay not to dress up everytime. Honestly, there are so many times where Kellie and I don't have time to prepare ourselves and look nice. We don't care about that. In fact, sometimes we go to "our place" after one of our kid's events--even a ballgame. No time to get pretty. Just barely time enough to get away. But that's okay. The time together becomes a little oasis in the middle of lots of chaos. Here's hoping you can find yourselves such a place.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

My wife and I have been rediscovering "dates" recently. We moved to Houston to help care for my wife's ailing mother and now that we've lost her to God, we have been working to reconnect with each other. Care-giving and child-earing left us tired both physically and mentally and our connection with each other sufferred. We have a 7-yrd old and I work evenings, but we have made a priority to have lunch together on Mondays. We will have to see how this works over summer break, but I'm certain we can continue in one way or another.