Tuesday, May 22, 2007

Having To Make Tough Decisions

Life is always full of important decisions. The tougher the choice, the more we can each benefit from the insight of someone we trust.

It's always a surprise to me (Brett) when I hear about husbands who will not consult their wives in major decisions. In fact, I've known more than one man over the years who did not ask for his wife's opinion before taking a job in another part of the country! That is obviously a recipe for disaster. Honestly, that kind of a marriage could soon be heading into some dangerous territory.

By contrast, I just spoke on the phone the other day with a very good friend who only moved across the state primarily because his wife agreed that it would be the right move for their family. When a man is wise like my buddy is, his wife no longer feels an overwhelming drive to prove herself an equal--she is an equal!

I am involved in an outstanding program in our city called Men's Life, a derivative of the nationally acclaimed program Men's Fraternity, developed by Robert Lewis. In that series, the roles of men and women in the family are discussed at length. The point is made clearly in those programs that men and women are indeed equal in marriage. God gave them specific roles as servant-leaders and servant-helpers, respectively, but the reality is that they are still both servants--and equals. Therefore, the overall health and direction of a family depends on the wisdom of both men and women--as they seek guidance together from the Lord.

Kellie and I always consult each other on all major decisions--and even a whole lot of minor ones! In my opinion, we would be foolish not to operate that way. More specifically, for me as a husband, God speaks clearly to me, over and over, through the wise counsel of my wife. For instance, on a particular issue, I may think I have logically listed all the pros and cons concerning the decision. But a very important stage of the decision-making process is to talk to my wife before pulling the trigger. And then Kellie, very intuitively and with much discernment, advises me which way to go. Sometimes it's in a direction that I hadn't yet considered. And this is so important. After all, sometimes I'm so focused on the goal ahead that I may not be examining all the angles that need to be brought into full consideration. Thankfully, I have someone very close in my life that I can trust to give me good advice. Kellie encourages me to move forward, which allows me to lead out as husband and father with a lot of confidence.

We encourage marriages to share life's big decisions together. It's yet another way to build intimacy in your most important relationship.

For more information about Greater Houston Men's Life check out www.ghml.org

1 comment:

Craig said...

Brett (Mentor),
Thanks for the kind reference in your post. It made my day! God Bless, Chuck.E.Cheddarhead