Friday, April 27, 2007

Hitting the Mother-in-law Jackpot


I (Brett) have the world's greatest mother-in-law. No kidding, I really hit paydirt on this. In the almost 20 years that Kellie and I have been married, my mother-in-law has not ever given me any unsolicited advice (not that I can recall, anyway). Not only that, but in our earlier years of marriage, she did not get involved in any of the "young married" arguments between me and her oldest daughter--or form any presuppositions about me and how I might potentially develop into a bad husband or dad. On the contrary, my-mother-in-law has always given me the benefit of the doubt on everything. Not only that, since my own mom has been gone for 22 years, my wife's mom has filled in quite nicely for me as the only mom I now have. Not only that, Kellie's mom raised two daugthers, both fine women--one in particular who turned out to be the most amazing wife this guy could have. Not only that, but my mother-in-law is an outstanding grandmother to our kids. And not only that, she is honestly the most generous person I have ever known in my life (and she would not like me to let you know that). I really could go on about her, but I don't want to bore you.

I realize that I am extremely fortunate in this area, but life has a way of making things even out. After all, I'm still not a punter in the NFL, I can't play lead guitar really at all, my hair continues to give me problems daily, and there are serious consequences to my cholesterol level when I eat mass quantities of fried chicken. But I do want you to know that I wouldn't trade my mother-in-law for anything.

No comments: